A summer’s walk to the Greenway

Year 3 had a fabulous time this afternoon exploring local area with Sim from Sustrans.  We are learning how to be responsible citizens in our community and in the wider world whilst encouraging others to look after our surroundings.

We began our walk in school looking for nature and signs of summer.

We walked out of the school grounds and down the path that led us to the Greenway.

Our first task was to leave messages to people on how we can keep our Greenway tidy.  We were shocked at how many dogs had been allowed to foul the area and saddened at the amount of litter people had dropped.  We hope people will read our messages and think about their actions.

Our last task was to go on a bug hunt! Armed with our bug catchers and paint brushes, we looked closely in the bushes and trees and carefully collected spiders, ants, beetles and even a white tailed bumble bee!

Excitingly, on our way back to school, we noticed something unusual…. on closer inspection, we found lots of strands of colourful wool.  We wondered what they might be and who might have left them there.  Sim told us that the volunteers who help to keep the Greenway tidy had left them there for us to make friendship bracelets!

we are looking forward to Sim coming back in September to work with us on some more environmental tasks.

Find out more about Sustrans here.

27 thoughts on “A summer’s walk to the Greenway”

1. I feel the same as Frankie-jo it was so fun and I can`t belive we saw an owl and lot`s of other stuff I love it thank you so much Miss Maeer and Sim your the best.

2. Thank you miss maeer i thought it was magical and all the types of animals we seen were awesome.We should do more things like that for our reward if we get it.thank you miss maeer. My favorite thing was when we saw the owl and drawing on the floor with chalk.

3. I liked going into the greenway with Sim . Me and Adam named our ant John then let him go because I was worried that he would suffocate. Do you think he’s dead? I don’t think he’s dead because if I give up hope he’ll die.

4. Thank you for taking us on the walk and thank you for letting us make them because I wear mine sometimes and I’m glad to see sue again to make seed boms

5. Thank you for taking us out for a lovely walk down the railway track, drawing with the chalk was best for me because drawing with Emily was funny. I loved trying to find bugs even though we only found one ant, it was so cool when everyone found a massive spider. The least favourite for me was leaving. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Thank you for taking us out for a lovely walk down the railway track, drawing with the chalk was best for me because drawing with Emily was funny. I loved trying to find bugs even though we only found one ant, it was so cool when everyone found a massive spider. The least favourite for me was leaving. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. REALAXING IS THE WORD FOR WHEN WE WERE DOWN THERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Memorises from then are awesome things like that are things to remember and look back to.exploring nature and having fun is the most things I care about in in year three and me also smiling.